Friday, November 9, 2012

Hoo-whee! Cajun Gumbo

Last night I was watching a video of an old cooking show I used to watch ALL the time.  It was Justin Wilson's New Orleans Cajun cooking show.  Too bad he's not alive anymore, he was a real original. Now with the weather chilly and rainy, I feel that gumbo is in order for dinner tonight.  Justin's pretty funny if you can understand what he's saying.  I have been making his cajun gumbo for years and it's a success every time.  I have modified a tiny bit on occasion but only by adding shrimp and replacing balsamic for the steak sauce because I can't have the soy sauce in it.  Sometimes I put okra or cutting down the hot sauce a little so the kids can eat it.  The most important things that can't be changed is cajun style roux (very very dark) and the hot sauce.

I cook it in the slow cooker, low and slow and add shrimp at the 20 minute mark before I serve it.  When we eat it, we eat it with big fat potato rolls.
Hoo-wee!  Dat's fo troo, I GARONETEE!

Just search on YouTube for Justin Wilson Gumbo if you want to hear him.

Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups wine
  • 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce (or balsamic vinegar  if you can't have soy)
  • 1 teaspoon Louisiana  Hot Sauce or Tabasco (to taste)
  • 1-2 lbs Chicken
  • salt to taste
In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium fire, then add the flour and make a very dark roux, like coffee with no cream, just this side of burned.  It should take about 45 minutes. Add the onions cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are clear. Add the garlic, water, steak sauce, hot sauce and wine, then drop in the chicken and sausage. Stir to combine, then let it cook, covered, for 2 or more hours.
Peace, Love and Chicken Grease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment